Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Reflecting on 40 Years, and Staying Relevant


Cornerstone Connect: Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with me today, Bob, and congratulations on your 40 years with Northwestern Mutual! I am excited to learn more about you and your career, and also how you keep your future looking bright! But first, please give us a little background. What was life like before starting with Northwestern Mutual?

Bob: I guess you could say my life before NML was quite similar to what it is now. Busy. I was a college student working 2 different jobs, all while being a musician in a rock ‘n roll band. We were a popular 6-piece cover band, sometimes playing up to 6 nights a week. It wasn’t until after my fourth year in the business that I gave up the music gig.

Cornerstone Connect: Rocker to Rep, that’s awesome. How were you introduced to NML?

Bob: I was recruited right after I graduated from Dominican College by an outside recruiting firm who was working with NML. Although I didn’t score as high as they would have liked me to on the aptitude tests, managing partner at the time, Jack Formella, believed very strongly that I could overcome those results with a strong work ethic and more exposure to the insurance industry.

Cornerstone Connect: At what point did you realize that this was the career for you?

Bob: Once I started in the business, I kept setting 6 month goals for myself to see if it was something that I was really cut out for. At first, I don’t even think I ever realized the potential of the career I had begun, until looking back at what I accomplished in the first 4 years. That’s when I really started to see how rewarding of a career this could be if I continued to pay attention and work hard.

Cornerstone Connect: What is it that’s so rewarding about what you do, that keeps you going?

Bob: The most rewarding things in this career are the relationships you are able to build with people, and also having the flexibility to be able to plan and manage your own time. I am very motivated by the continued evolution of this business and the growing opportunities within the marketplace. It is also the respect I’ve earned and been shown from my clients and other business professionals that psychologically keeps me in the game.

Cornerstone Connect: What advice would you give to new reps?

Bob: Really look at your work schedule each week, and make sure you are working towards “high-life” activity. The bigger premiums will come as your clientele ages. As you more fully develop your skills through education and joint work you will gain confidence. Challenge yourself to larger prospects because it will help you learn and grow faster. Always listen to your prospects closely and make note of their feelings, not just the facts. Always deliver on your promises and service.

No comments: