Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Celebrating 45 Years in the Business!

Cornerstone Connect: Bob, congratulations on 45 years with Northwestern Mutual! How did you join NML in the first place?

Bob: I was with Lincoln National Life right out of college and my prospective father-in-law back then asked me what I did for a living. I told him I sold insurance, and he said with whom. I said Lincoln National Life. He then asked me why I was not with Northwestern Mutual, the finest insurance company in America. And I had no good answer. He was a banker in Madison for 40 plus years and knew about these things. Shortly thereafter I called the only Northwestern rep I knew, Mike Holden. I set up an interview with his then district agent, Harold Pritchard, in Whitefish Bay (now the Formella Agency in Mequon). When I met the people in the office, I knew that's where I wanted to be. The rest is history.

Cornerstone Connect: What do you like most about the business?

Bob: What I like most about the business is making a significant impact on people's lives by the work that we do. I also like the freedom on the back-end of my career to continue to work and enjoy my freedom.

Cornerstone Connect: Any advice for new financial reps?

Bob: I spoke at the friendship lunch at the Chicago regional meeting several years ago, and the title of my talk was “Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later: Hang in there; it really does get easier.” That would be my advice. As I've said to a lot of new reps, it is “Top Gun” school. Everybody thinks they're pretty hot stuff coming in, but it takes a special person to survive in this business.

No comments: